Monday, February 10, 2014

Rest Day - February 9, 2014




The Run You Prepare For Is the One You Run Best
There are a few things in life I know to be true; things I can always count on. First, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Christ’s true church, restored. Secondly, the atonement of Jesus Christ is far reaching. Thirdly; I believe that every blessing we receive is a result of our obedience to the principles upon which the blessing is predicated. To put is in simpler terms, when we obey God’s command, we prosper in the land. Lastly, I believe, God will give the faithful line upon line, precept upon precept, all according to our understanding and readiness.  I believe with faith in Jesus Christ all things are possible. I know I can move mountains, even if it requires a shovel to do so.
For three years and counting, I have dedicated myself to the sport of endurance running. I have finished three marathons, six half marathons, and one Tough Mudder composition. This last year however, I have struggled to finish any of my races. I come to the starting lines unprepared for the courses that lay ahead. Each finish has been a drawn out battle for which I have only myself to blame.  Most recently I ran the Honolulu Marathon in Hawaii. I came ready to run, but not ready to endure. I failed to train adequately and so like you would expect, the race was more than a challenge. It was downright unbearable. In the past I worked hard, trained hard, ate healthy, and focused on the goal at hand. But like the Apostle, Peter who walked on water with Christ, I began to sink as I took my eyes off of the end goal.
Several of my runs have led me down paths that I never thought I would be able to travel even distances that I thought were impossible. But through hard work, dedication and focus I have accomplished levels of endurance that are reserved for those that have truly prepared themselves. 
Once while participating in a half marathon I cramped up half way through the race. I was sure that there was absolutely no way I would cross the finish line. Remembering my training and the rules I established for myself long before I set out to accomplish such a goal. One of my rules to running is pray always. Just as I concluded my plea an angel appeared. I don’t remember her name, but she saw I was in distress and encouraged me to keep going. She kept me company and distracted me from my pains all the way to the finish line.
Running is a lot like the gospel. When we study things out, and prepare for the challenges ahead, we are far more likely to accomplish what we set out to than if we had not. My short comings were not punishment for disobedience, but rather the consequence of being ill prepared. Training for a marathon requires daily discipline and self-mastery. Each time I go for a run, I learn something about myself and the course I am on. Likewise each time I study the scriptures I learn something new about God’s plan. I have learned when I take the time to do what is right, giving my very best, having faith in Jesus Christ, all things are possible. I can move mountains, and even run marathons. This I believe.

1 comment:

  1. The above entry was from a writing assignment I was given for my BYU-I English class.

    ReplyDelete