Thursday, February 27, 2014

Cool Down Chat - February 27, 2014





I made it to the gym tonight and decided to mix it up a little. I was able to add a little weight training – nothing to serious. I spent 15 minutes working my upper body as I ran through about five different nautilus type machines. Then I did some speed work on the elliptical machine completing 3 miles in 20 minutes and then another ¾ mile slow cool down. 

A friend of mine asked me if I had ever done any hypertrophy training and I was a little embarrassed to say that I had no idea what the heck he was talking about. But after a little research, this is what I found out – it’s complicated. The science behind the method is a little over my head, but the jest of it, I gather that is a way to build muscles quickly. The example my friend gave me is as follows, high number of sets, medium number of reps. He does 8 sets of 8. Sometimes he says he will do 5 sets of 5.

Arctic Strides would like to know if there is a method to your madness. What techniques do you use at the gym?

No comments:

Post a Comment