Friday, February 14, 2014

Long Run - February 14, 2014

The Cheechako Runner   
                              
I met Emily online through an effort made by the social media team at Big Wild Life Runs (BWLR).  I was invited to take part in a series of featured runner profiles on their blog for the upcoming 49k race. Absolutely flattered, I jumped at the chance to take part in something so near and dear to my heart.  Emily emailed me a list of questions that I was supposed to answer and thus began our correspondence and my interest in learning more about her own running experience.

Normally I would have invited Emily to go for a run and interviewed her on the trails. But seeing that she is a woman, and I am a stranger who she just met through the internet; I thought it best to meet in a well-lit public place. I asked her to meet me at one of my favorite places for some coffee talk. As we chatted, I got to know her a little and learned a lot about her excitement for life, running, and Alaska.

Emily is a Cheechako, here for work and the Alaskan experience. She and her husband migrated here all the way from South Carolina. She noted more than once how much she loves living in the Last Frontier. She especially loves how friendly everyone is and how much Alaskans want to share the state with anyone that is willing to let them. Emily is what I would call a light runner, or maybe a better way to say it is social runner. Some of her favorite things about running are the social aspects.

As a new resident she quickly made friends by attending the Skinny Raven Pub Runs and eventually joining the Anchorage Running Club. I asked her how she got involved with BWLR. She said while working an interim job at a “high end” clothing store, the race director (a personal client) invited her to announce the races. As luck would have it, she met Jeff Galloway the day before and let him talk her into running the Snow City 5k without any training. I gather she’s up for just about anything, as long as it is fun (and challenging). Anyway – that led her to other opportunities such as volunteering to work with the BWLR social media committee.

I listen to Emily’s story of how she became a runner, how she ended up in Alaska, and why she continues to love the sport so much. She told me that running motivates her to be a better version of herself. She loves the fitness aspect of the sport and the friendships it creates. She also shared with me that running instills a feeling of accomplishment or achievement that she thrives on.

She went on to share a funny story about her first winter run and how it was a little overwhelming. Her husband and a couple of friends from out of state had never really done any kind of winter running. As you might imagine they all overdressed, by probably about five layers. She showed me a picture, and I had to laugh. To be honest though, I think that is something we can all relate too. I know it can be a struggle to figure out just the right number of layers to wear.

One of the most interesting things I learned about Emily is that she has never run a marathon – not even a half. I was kind of surprised to learn this, but after hearing her advice to anyone that is thinking of becoming a runner, I was able to move past it. Emily says, “It is never too late to start running. It doesn’t matter what level you’re at, go at your own pace. It’s not about big miles; it’s about getting out there. Progress is progress.”

I really enjoyed hearing her perspective on running. It made me feel like I can give more back to the sport that has given me so much. I should note that she has made a commitment to finish her first half at the Mayor’sMarathon in June.

I asked Emily to tell me what runners should expect and look forward to at this year’s BWLR event. She says, “Big Wild Life Runs is going to be amazing this year!” They are adding the 49K Ultra (which yours truly is going to run). They are also anticipating an even bigger turnout for the Anchorage Mile. She is expecting it to be another fun filled weekend for runners of all types. On the roster for guest speakers will be American Olympian Jeff Galloway and Marathon Champion Dick Beardsley. She also made a special note mentioning all the amazing volunteers that make the race possible.

If you happen to see Emily on the trails make sure to say hi and don’t be afraid to offer a high five.

If you are interested in learning more about the BWLR or how you can be a featured runner log on to BigWildLifeRuns.Com, follow them on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.






1 comment:

  1. A very good read. Your grandmother would be so proud of you with your writing skills. <3

    ReplyDelete