Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Cool Down Chat - February 3, 2014

Today was my first day back to the gym in what feels like more than a month. I kept the training light and only worked out on the Arc crosstrainer. I completed more than 2 mile in a forty minute period, and burned more than 600 calories. 

While I was getting my cardio on, I was thinking about novelty runs. My in-laws singed up my wife, kids and me for the Color Run this summer. I have mixed feelings about doing it again, but everyone seemed to have had fun last time. Over-the-top crowds makes me a little cranky. And don't even get me started about long lines to nowhere. Last year, I think we waited for more than a hour to cross the starting line. In the end the fun out weighed the not so fun, but I still hesitate to do it again. 

Arctic Strides would like to know what you think about big, for profit, over-the-top, mass marketed, multi national, novelty runs... Yay or Nay? 


3 comments:

  1. I'm similarly conflicted about these types of mass-marketed "runs". That being said, we decided it would be a fun thing to with the kids that lets them get out and have a fun time running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided that this year I would choose my (paid entry) runs a little more wisely and opt out of most of the smaller 5k events. Then my boos sings me up for the Heart Run, my mother in-law sings up my family up or the Color Run. And I have already been invited by several people to do the Shamrock Shuffle. I agree that those can be fun family events, but they are starting to add up and cost a lot.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete