Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Long Run - January 26, 2014



I read somewhere that a black toenail was a right of passage as a runner. That got me thinking - how the heck do you get one of those? 

Season after season, mile after mile, no black toenail. Then came the Honolulu Marathon - Bingo! I got that badge of honor I thought would be a signal to the world that I am a runner. A reward to myself that somehow proves that I am a part of a group of people that I so badly want to be a part of. 

I bragged to unsuspecting coworkers, family, and even running mates. I told them about the battle I fought to finish my last marathon and how that resulted in my new permanent blemish. Except, it's not so permanent. Today my blemish is no more; my toenail is back to normal, and I couldn't be sadder. 

Now that it's gone, I feel a little let down. I thought for sure that like the metal I received for finishing the race, I would have this forever too. They say time heals all wounds, but I thought for sure the scar would never fade.  

Arctic Strides would like to know if you have any sentimental  scars and how you got them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment