Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Training in Alaska

I have been training off and on now for more than a year, taking some time for recovery or illnesses. People ask me what I do in the winter, meaning are you running outside. The answer is no. I run indoors on the treadmill or dreadmill as I sometimes call it.

I think about running outside sometimes and then I remember that it’s cold, icy, snowy and cold. I think about my feet getting wet as snow inevitably creeps in to my shoes and I think about sweat freezing to my face or anywhere else I might get damp. Suddenly running outside in below freezing temperatures on trails baring record amounts of snow just doesn’t seem appealing. Not to mention the year round moose dilemma.

Of course there are all kinds of gear designed to keep you going in these types of conditions but right now I just am not willing to make that kind of investment. There are special snow griping shoes with goretex protection and ultra dry wicking fabrics to keep your body dry and warm, head lamps and reflective tape. It all seems a little overwhelming to me.

Right now I am sticking to the treadmill where I can be warm and control my pace just a little better. It may not be until June that the trails completely dry out, but I’ll be ready when they are. I can’t wait to hit the hills and see all the happy people out and about. I also can’t to take my kids with me in the jogger.

Maybe that’s what I’ll write about next.

No comments:

Post a Comment